Site Home Prospective Students Returning Undergraduates Graduate Students Part-Time Students International Students
International Students Tax Information Other Administrative Offices Contact Aid Advisors Site Map

How to Apply

What Does it Cost?

Paying Your Bill






Student Loans
Parent Loans

Work Opportunities

Resident Advisors

Concurrent Programs


Site Map

Concurrent or Combination Programs and Financial Aid

Some academic departments offer concurrent degree programs that allow students to pursue a bachelor's degree and a master's degree at the same time. Eligibility for financial aid will vary depending upon whether a student is classified as a graduate or undergraduate student. Students in concurrent programs are classified as undergraduates until they complete their undergraduate degree requirements or complete 8 semesters of full-time study. All concurrent program students are considered to be graduate students in their 5th year of study, even if undergraduate degree requirements have not been met. Graduate students are no longer eligible for JHU grant assistance. This includes Bloomberg, Hodson and Westgate Scholarships.

Graduate Students may be eligible for partial tuition waivers or for research and teaching assistantships. Award amounts are determined by the academic department or program. Graduate students may also qualify for Federal student loans and/or work study, and should follow the graduate aid application procedures.

Loan limits for the federal student loan programs change when a student's classification changes from undergraduate to graduate. The annual maximum of combined subsidized and unsubsidized Federal Direct Student Loan for an undergraduate junior or senior is $7,500.A graduate student (in any year of his or her program) may borrow up to $20,500 per year through the unsubsidized Federal Direct Student Loan. Additional loans may be available through the Grad PLUS program. A student who is classified as a graduate student is no longer eligible for undergraduate federal student aid including Federal Pell Grant, Federal SEOG, Subsidized Direct Loans, or Federal Parent PLUS loans.

For information about the concurrent degree programs in the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences and the Whiting School of Engineering, see your academic advisor or the websites below.





HomeProspective StudentsReturning UndergradsGrad StudentsPart-Time Students
International Students
Tax InfoOther Administrative OfficesContact Aid Advisors Site Map