Site Home Prospective Students Returning Undergraduates Graduate Students Part-Time Students International Students
International Students Tax Information Other Administrative Offices Contact Aid Advisors Site Map

How to Apply

What Does it Cost?

Paying Your Bill






Student Loans
Parent Loans

Work Opportunities

Resident Advisors

Concurrent Programs


Site Map

Paying Your Bill & Other Costs | Returning Students

Financing Options
Refund Requests

The Office of Students Accounts sends bills on a regular basis. Initial billings for fall semester are mailed in July and are due in August. Spring semester bills are sent in December and are due in January. Anticipated financial aid will appear on the bill and is actually disbursed 10 days prior to the start of the semester, if the financial aid file is complete. Hopkins Grants, Federal Pell and other grants, Perkins Loans, Direct Student Loans, and Hackerman Loans are applied directly against your billed charges. Federal Work-Study funds will not be credited on the bill but instead are paid to students each week in a paycheck for hours worked. Outside scholarships and state grants are credited to the bill when they are received. (If you are awaiting the arrival of outside aid, you may deduct that amount from the bill as an anticipated credit.) Hopkins will not bill you for indirect costs such as books, personal expenses, and off-campus rent and meals, even though they are included in your financial aid budget. Therefore, the amount due on your bill will not equal the difference between the cost and the aid awarded. Some students use part of their family contribution to go toward the bill and part to cover indirect expenses. Others find that the bill is covered by financial aid credits, and the family contribution will be used to cover indirect expenses only.

Financing Options (Top)

For families who do not qualify for financial aid or who will need help financing their family's contribution, there are several alternative financing options:

Monthly Payment Plan. Parents are able to budget the cost of tuition and on-campus room and board in five equal monthly installments per semester. Interested families should contact Tuition Management Systems at 800-722-4867 or the Office of Student Accounts at 410-516-8158 for information. Parents can enroll online at

Parent Loans and Supplemental Loans. Parents and students may borrow through the following loan programs.

Federal PLUS (Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students)

You may also wish to consider the following financing options:

Home Equity: Home equity loans (or lines of credit) are usually the least expensive interest-deductible education loans available. There are many sources for these loans.

Life Insurance. Borrowing from whole life insurance typically has a lower fixed interest rate. Contact your life insurance holder for information specific to your policy.

Refund Requests (Top)

If your financial aid credits exceed your billed costs, you may request a refund of the credit balance to help pay your indirect costs (or the credit may be held on your account toward next semester's charges). A credit balance may occur for students living off-campus who are billed only for tuition by Hopkins but use some of their aid to pay for off-campus living expenses. The Student Accounts Office handles the refund process.

If You Reduce Your Courseload

At the beginning of each term, the period up to the last date to add a class or drop a class with a 100 percent refund is considered the registration period. After that date, the Office of Student Financial Services will check students' enrollment for the term. Eligibility rules for JHU Grant funds require that students be enrolled full-time as of that date (unless the student has approval from academic advising for a reduced courseload). Eligibility rules for Federal Direct Student Loans require students to be enrolled at least half-time as of that date. Credits for federal and institutional funds will be reversed if the student is not meeting the enrollment requirement for a particular fund.

If You Withdraw

Students who withdraw during an academic term will receive a tuition refund based on the policy specified in the university catalog. The financial aid award will be adjusted based on the the percentage of the semester before withdrawal. Funds from federal programs will be returned to the Department of Education.

See Return to Title IV funds policy.


HomeProspective StudentsReturning UndergradsGrad StudentsPart-Time Students
International Students
Tax InfoOther Administrative OfficesContact Aid Advisors Site Map