Site Home Prospective Students Returning Undergraduates Graduate Students Part-Time Students International Students
International Students Tax Information Other Administrative Offices Contact Aid Advisors Site Map

How to Apply

What Does it Cost?

Paying Your Bill





Work Opportunities


Site Map

Questions and Answers
| Part-Time Students (Top)

Who can apply for financial aid?
Any enrolled or accepted student who is a U.S. Citizen, permanent resident, or eligible non-citizen may apply. Student must be enrolled at least half-time in two courses or six credits per semester.

NOTE: If you drop below half-time status during the semester, your aid may be canceled for the semester. If you resume half-time status in a subsequent semester, you may request to have your aid reinstated using the Student Loan Adjustment Form at

How do I apply?
Complete your FAFSA online at Use JHU School Code E00473.

When do I turn in my financial aid application?
You should complete your aid application materials at least 2 months before you need the funds to cover your tuition charges.

Have I missed the deadline?
There are no hard and fast deadlines, but we recommend that you complete your FAFSA 2 months before the start of the term. You are responsible paying any tuition charges if your aid is not processed at the time you receive a bill. If your charges have been paid, you can receive a refund when the loan is actually credited to your account.

Did you receive my FAFSA?
Check your SIS account online at
Your JHED LID and password is required for access.

Am I eligible for federal loans during the summer semester?
The summer semester is treated like the fall and spring semesters. Students must take at least two courses or six credits in order to be considered half-time. If you choose to take just one course over the summer, you should consider other methods of payment such as a private student loan or using your existing funds.

What type of aid is available?
Fully admitted students enrolled at least half time may borrow up to a maximum of $20,500 in Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans per academic year. Students may also borrow a Federal Graduate PLUS Loan up to their cost of attendance less other aid.

NOTE: Provisional admit students who are not yet fully accepted into their program may be limited to borrowing less than $20,500. Provisional students do not qualify for Graduate PLUS loans.

NOTE: If you are enrolled in less than two courses in any term, you are not eligible for Federal Direct Student Loans for that term. You may want to consider borrowing through a private/alternative laon program.

How is my eligibility determined?
Federal funds are awarded on the basis of financial need. A federal formula considers your available income and assets, and calculates an expected contribution. Prior year income is used as the basis for the analysis. Current year income may be used for students who will experience a significant income reduction as a result of attending a part-time program.

Can I apply for a Graduate PLUS Loan?
Yes, but you first must complete the FAFSA so that we can determine your eligibility for lower interest Federal Direct Unsubsidized student loans. If you have additional need after that, you may apply for a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan.

NOTE: Students are strongly encouraged to complete this process and qualify for lower interest rate loans before applying for private loans.

How do I get money to buy my books?
Your estimated costs include an amount for books. If you have completed a FAFSA and any other required documents, the loan will be credited to your account. The loan proceeds will first be applied to any tuition charges on your bill. If you have a credit balance remaining after tuition is covered, you can request a refund and use the money to buy books.

How do I request a change in my provisional enrollment status?
Contact your academic program to request a change in your status.

What if I drop a class and I’m less than half-time?
Degree candidates must be enrolled at least half-time, defined as six credits or two non-audited courses per semester. If you drop below half-time status before the end of the drop/add period, your aid may be cancelled. See Return of Title IV Funds Policy in the Graduate Student Brochure.

My FAFSA was selected for verification. What does this mean and what do I need to do?
Verification is a process used to check the accuracy of certain information entered on the FAFSA and to resolve any errors. Some students are selected by the Department of Education and some are selected by Johns Hopkins University. Selected students will need to provide additional documentation to the Office of Student Financial Services of the Krieger School of Arts and Sciences and the Whiting School of Engineering before we can finalize and disburse federal financial aid.

If you are selected for verification, you will need to complete and submit a verification worksheet, and a signed paper copy of your 2015 IRS tax return.

Verification Worksheets can be downloaded from our website at They can also be downloaded from your To Do List on the Financial Aid tab in SIS Self-Service.

Once all documents have been received, our office will review the data and compare it to the information on your FAFSA. Our office will make corrections (if necessary) and transmit them to the federal processor. You will have an updated Student Aid Report (SAR) if corrections are required. If the corrections impact your federal aid award, we will notify you by email or letter.

Verification may take several weeks to complete, so we ask that all students supply the requested materials as soon as possible.

If your documents have not been turned in by August 1 your federal aid will be cancelled.

Your financial aid will not be disbursed until the verification process is complete. Students can track the completion of verification documents on the To Do List tab in SIS at

You may be asked to submit additional verification documentation later in the year. If you do not submit the additional documents requested, your federal aid will be cancelled, including money you have already received.

What if I have more questions, who do I call?
For financial aid inquiries and loan eligibility contact:
Office of Student Financial Services
(410) 516-8028

Or email your financial aid advisor. See Contact Advisor.

For billing questions contact:
Student Accounts Office
(410) 516-8158

For registration information contact:
Arts & Sciences Advanced Academic Programs
(202) 452-1940

Engineering for Professionals Programs
(410) 540-2960


HomeProspective StudentsReturning UndergradsGrad StudentsPart-Time Students
International Students
Tax InfoOther Administrative OfficesContact Aid Advisors Site Map