Site Home Prospective Students Returning Undergraduates Graduate Students Part-Time Students International Students
International Students Tax Information Other Administrative Offices Contact Aid Advisors Site Map

How to Apply

What Does it Cost?

Paying Your Bill





Work Opportunities


Site Map

How to Apply | Part-Time Students

Application Process Eligibility CriteriaCitizenship Documentation
Satisfactory Academic Progress

Johns Hopkins University's Office of Student Financial Services is eager to help you understand financial aid and to assist you in finding ways to meet your graduate school costs. We are committed to helping you navigate through the financial aid process quickly and easily so that you can focus on your courses.

Application Process (Top)

To apply for federal financial aid:

1. Submit a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) online at

  • School Code: E00473
  • FAFSA data typically takes 3-5 business days to reach JHU

2. Review the Part-Time Graduate Financial Aid Application Instructions. This information may be accessed online at

3. You must register for two courses before your aid can be determined.

For answers to many of your questions, please visit the FAQ's page.

*To see the most up-to-date information regarding your financial aid status and billing information, please log into your SIS account.

Did you know you could do the following in your SIS account?

  • Check your award status
  • Accept/decline your awards
  • Check for any required documents
  • Pay your bill
  • Review your account summary

Eligibility Criteria (Top)

- Student must be enrolled or accepted into a graduate program leading to a degree or certificate.

- Student must be a U.S. Citizen, permanent resident or eligible non-citizen (see Citizenship Documentation below).

- Student must be enrolled at least half-time in two courses or six credits (not including audited courses) during the semesters in which they wish to borrow federal loan.

- Student must not be in default on a Federal Direct or Stafford Loan, Federal Perkins Loan, or owe a refund for a Federal Pell Grant or Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) at any institution. Students whose loans were dismissed because of bankruptcy are considered to be in default and are not eligible for federal aid.

- Students must be registered for Selective Service (male students 18 to 25 years).

- Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress. A student who is concerned about his/her course record may examine it at any time in the Registrar's Office in Garland Hall. Academic departments and program committees will inform students of their standing twice a year. If you are placed on probation, the Office of Student Financial Services will be notified. You may be allowed to retain your financial aid on a probationary basis for one semester.

Citizenship Documentation (Top)

You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to apply for federal student financial aid. When an applicant completes the FAFSA, the processor matches the student's name, social security number, and date of birth with the Social Security Administration database (for U.S. citizens) and with the Department of Homeland Security database (for eligible non-citizens). If the match with either database confirms citizenship or permanent resident status, no further documentation is required. However, if the match does not confirm the student's status, the applicant will be required to provide documentation.

One of the following is required to document U.S. citizenship:

  • A copy of a birth certificate showing that the student was born in the United States
  • A copy of a U.S. passport
  • A State Department document showing birth of a U.S. citizen abroad (FS240, FS545, DS1350)
  • A certificate of citizenship through a U.S. parent (N560, N561)
  • A certificate of naturalization (N550, N570)

One of the following is required to document status as a U.S. permanent resident:

  • A Permanent Resident Card (formerly Resident Alien Card) - I-551 (older version I-151 should have been replaced with I-551 but may be accepted)
  • An I-94 document that has been stamped "processed for I-551" and has an expiration date valid through the academic year

Satisfactory Academic Progress (Top)

What is satisfactory academic progress?

Students who receive Federal Student Financial Aid must, in accordance with federal, state, and institutional requirements, be in good standing and maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) toward obtaining their degree or certificate. Under Federal Title IV law, a University’s SAP policy must meet certain minimum requirements, and be at least as strict as the University’s standards for good academic standing.   This policy applies to students applying for financial aid for semesters/periods of enrollment that begin with the Fall 2012 semester.

The federal government requires an institution to use three measurements to determine SAP: qualitative (GPA/grades), quantitative (pace of completion), and maximum timeframe. Students must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average (or equivalent measure), maintain a minimum cumulative completion rate of courses attempted, and complete a degree or certificate within the University’s published maximum timeframe. The standards used to evaluate academic progress are cumulative and, therefore must include all periods of the enrollment (even periods during which the student did not receive financial aid).

What is the Financial Aid SAP Policy for AAP & EP graduate students?

To be eligible to receive Federal Title IV financial aid, students must demonstrate satisfactory progress toward their academic objectives as follows:

  1. Qualitative Measure: The Office of Student Financial Services converts letter grades into their numeric equivalents, calculates a GPA, and considers students to have the equivalent of a B average if their calculated cumulative GPA is a greater than or equal to a 3.0. Only grades of A+,A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F, I/F, FN and U are factored into the GPA calculation.  All other grades will be ignored from the qualitative measure.  A student may earn no more than two grades of C+ or below, which includes grades of I/F, FN and U.
  2. Quantitative Measure: Minimum cumulative completion rate/pace of 67%, defined as total number of completed course units divided by total number of attempted course units.  Financial aid recipients must maintain a cumulative completion rate of completed courses equal to or exceeding 67% of the courses attempted.  All grades (except for audited course work) will be included in the measure of pace, including W and I grades.
  3. Maximum timeframe to completion of degree or certificate:  Master’s students must complete their degree within 5 years of matriculation, and Doctoral students must complete their degree within 12 years of matriculation.  Periods of non-enrollment (e.g. LOA) are excluded.

Treatment of grades:

Letter Grade

Included in Qualitative Measure

Included in Quantitative Measure (e.g., pace)

A+, A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D, D-, F, I/F, FN, U






All Others



How does repeat coursework affect a student's SAP?

All repeated coursework will count in the qualitative (GPA) computation.  Every repeat attempt will be included in the completion rate (quantitative) determination.

How does classes taken at another institution and transferred to our schools affect a student's SAP?

All coursework accepted for transfer to the student’s program of study by The Johns Hopkins University is taken into consideration in the quantitative measurement component of SAP as both attempted and earned coursework. Grades earned at other institutions are not counted in the qualitative measure.

How does a change of major impact a student's SAP evaluation?

For students who change majors within their degree program, only coursework attempted that is applicable to the new major is included in the quantitative measure of pace.  All coursework is included in the qualitative measure as required under federal law.

How does remedial, preparatory and ESL coursework impact a student's SAP evaluation?

Grades earned for remedial coursework and ESL coursework are included in both the qualitative (GPA) and quantitative (completion rate) measure of SAP.

How often is a student's SAP reviewed and how are students notified?

Financial aid recipients are reviewed for SAP at the end of each traditional semester of enrollment (Fall, Spring, Summer).  Student Financial Services will contact students (in writing) who do not meet the SAP standards and are placed either in a warning status or lose eligibility.

Financial Aid Warning Status:

Students who fail to meet the minimum standards will be placed on Financial Aid Warning for the subsequent semester/period of enrollment.  Students are still eligible for financial aid during the "Warning" semester. 

Students receiving financial aid for the first time will be placed on Financial Aid Warning as applicable if they did not meet the minimum grade standards as noted in this policy based on the previous period of enrollment prior to applying for financial aid.

Financial Aid Suspension - Losing Title IV Eligibility:

Students who, while on Financial Aid Warning, fail to achieve the minimum standards at the end of the following semester will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension status for subsequent semesters/periods of enrollment. No financial aid will be disbursed during subsequent semesters/periods of enrollment until the student regains financial aid eligibility.

Students who do not complete their program within the Maximum Timeframe lose eligibility for financial aid and are placed on Financial Aid Suspension status.

Financial Aid Probation and Reinstatement of Aid After Financial Aid Suspended Status:

Reinstatement of financial aid after a student is placed in Financial Aid Suspended status is achieved in one of the following ways:

  1. The student submits an appeal (see procedures below) and the Financial Aid Appeals Committee grants the appeal. The student is then placed on Financial Aid Probation for the next semester/period of enrollment and is eligible for aid during the Financial Aid Probation semester.   If the appeal is approved but the Committee has determined that the student will not be able to meet the SAP standards within one semester/period of enrollment, then the student will be placed on Financial Aid Probation with an Academic Plan, which if followed, will ensure the student is able to meet the SAP standards by a specific point in time. 
  2. The student registers for coursework while on Financial Aid Suspension status, pays for tuition and fees without the help of student financial aid, and does well enough in the coursework to satisfy all the satisfactory academic progress standards at the end of the subsequent semester(s)/period(s) of enrollment.

Students who are beyond the maximum timeframe to completion may regain financial aid eligibility on a semester-by-semester basis through the appeal process.

Appeal Process:

Students who wish to appeal must submit an appeal of Financial Aid Suspended status in writing to the financial aid office at least 2 weeks prior to the start of the next term. Students should follow the guidelines noted on the SAP Appeal Form, giving special attention to the Academic Plan. The committee will review the appeal and notify students (in writing) of the decision within 14 working days after the Appeals Committee meets and makes its determination. Appeals should include:

  • The grounds for appeal (i.e., working too many hours, etc.)
  • Demonstration that the student understands the reason behind failure to meet the SAP requirements
  • Specific plans to rectify the student's current academic status

The committee will review the appeal and consult with either AAP or EP and other involved parties as warranted. Appeals will only be approved if the committee is in agreement that the student’s grounds for the appeal are reasonable, the student has a reasonable chance to succeed and graduate and an academic plan is in place. Students will receive written notification of the decision. All decisions on such appeals are final.  Students who lose eligibility for financial aid due to not meeting the minimum SAP standards more than one time during their program may submit an appeal each time.

Academic Plan:

Students who lose eligibility and submit an appeal may be placed on an Academic Plan if the appeal is approved.  The purpose of an academic plan is to support the student in bringing himself or herself back into compliance with the financial aid SAP standards by a specific point in time in order to ensure that the student will be able to successfully complete the degree or certificate program.  The academic plan will be specifically tailored to the student and may include milestones and specific requirements such as specific courses or tutoring.   Students on an academic plan are still responsible to meet the SAP requirements in the subsequent semester/period of enrollment, will lose eligibility if the SAP standards are not met, and need to go through the appeal process in order to regain eligibility.  The student’s progress in the academic plan will be taken into account in any subsequent appeal process of financial aid eligibility.

Is financial aid probation the same as academic probation?

No. Financial aid recipients must meet the financial aid satisfactory academic progress standards, which are at least as strict as the schools' academic standards, in accordance with federal Title IV law.

Where can students get more information?

Contact the Financial Aid Office at 410-516-8028, or by email at



HomeProspective StudentsReturning UndergradsGrad StudentsPart-Time Students
International Students
Tax InfoOther Administrative OfficesContact Aid Advisors Site Map