Site Home Prospective Students Returning Undergraduates Graduate Students Part-Time Students International Students
International Students Tax Information Other Administrative Offices Contact Aid Advisors Site Map

How to Apply


What Does it Cost?

Paying Your Bill






Site Map

How to Apply | International Students (Top)


Students who are not U.S. citizens, permanent residents, or other eligible non-citizens (status of refugee, asylum, humanitarian parole, Cuban-Haitian Entrant) are considered international students. Students who hold F1, F2, J1, J2, or G series visas are also considered international students. International students are not eligible for federal financial aid, but in some cases may be eligible to apply for Johns Hopkins University financial assistance.

Undergraduate Students

Johns Hopkins University offers need-based scholarships to undergraduate international students. Approximately 10% of the incoming international freshmen receive need-based scholarships. The average scholarship is $25,000, but individual amounts can be more or less depending on the financial need of the student. Since funds are limited, Johns Hopkins University takes need for financial aid into consideration when making the Admissions decision. If an applicant applies for financial aid and is determined to have financial need, Johns Hopkins University will offer admission to that student only if funds are available to meet that student's financial need.

International students who are not offered scholarship assistance for their first year will not be eligible for scholarship assistance in any subsequent years while they are undergraduates. This policy applies to students who experience a change in financial circumstances, as well as to students who later attain citizenship or eligible non-citizenship status during their undergraduate career. Students who attain citizenship status will be considered for federal financial aid (if their citizenship status is confirmed), but they will not be offered Johns Hopkins University grant assistance.

Scholarship assistance is limited for international students transferring from another university. As with freshman applicants, Johns Hopkins University will offer admission to transfer financial aid applicants only if funds are available to meet that student's financial need.

To apply for the Johns Hopkins University International Scholarship:
1. Complete the College Scholarship Service (CSS) PROFILE
2. Submit a copy of your parents' most recent federal tax return from your home country to the College Board's IDOC (Institutional Documentation Service). This step may be completed only after the PROFILE has been submitted online.

Any applicant who cannot complete the PROFILE online should contact the Office of Student Financial Services by email to to explain why you cannot complete the application and to request a paper application alternative.

All financial aid documents must be filed by November 15 for Early Decision applicants, March 1 for Regular Decision applicants, and April 1 for Transfer applicants. Late applications will not be considered for financial assistance.

The Certification of Finances Form is a required Admissions form and is not part of the financial aid application. This form must be completed by all international applicants and should be returned to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. The form is accessible on the Admissions website. You may contact their office with any questions.

Graduate Students

Johns Hopkins University International Scholarship funds are not available to graduate students.

In many cases, graduate students receive tuition and stipend support through their academic department. Students should contact their academic department directly for more information.

Private loans and/or scholarships may be available for international graduate students. Most lenders require a co-signer who is a U.S. citizen. Refer to the Loan and Scholarships sections of this website for more information.



HomeProspective StudentsReturning UndergradsGrad StudentsPart-Time Students
International Students
Tax InfoOther Administrative OfficesContact Aid Advisors Site Map