Site Home Prospective Students Returning Undergraduates Graduate Students Part-Time Students International Students
International Students Tax Information Other Administrative Offices Contact Aid Advisors Site Map

How to Apply

What Does it Cost?

Paying Your Bill





Work Opportunities

Concurrent Programs


Site Map

Refund Requests If You Withdraw

Paying Your Bill | Graduate Students

The Student Accounts Office is responsible for student billing. All bills are mailed to the student's permanent address in July for the fall semester and December for the spring semester. Payment is expected three weeks before the beginning of classes.

Funds from the following sources are credited directly to your student account 10 days prior to the start of classes (if you have returned all the required documents to the Office of Student Financial Services):

• Hopkins full and partial graduate fellowships (awarded by academic departments)
• Federal Direct Student Loans
• Federal Perkins Loans

Most outside scholarship agencies will forward a check to the university for credit to your student account.

Money you have earned through the Federal Work-Study Program is paid directly to you on a weekly or semimonthly. It is not applied directly to your student account.

NOTE: If funds have not been received by the university from a particular outside source of aid, that amount will not be credited to your account and cannot be provided to you, even if notification of the award has been received.

Refund Requests

If your financial aid credits exceed your billed costs, you may request a refund of the credit balance to cover your living and other expenses. The Student Accounts Office handles the refund process.

If You Reduce Your Courseload

At the beginning of each term, the period up to the last date to add a class or drop a class with a 100 percent refund is considered the registration period. After that date, the Office of Student Financial Services will check students' enrollment for the term. Eligibility rules for Federal Direct Student Loans require students to be enrolled at least half-time as of that date. Credits for federal loan funds will be reversed if the student is not meeting the enrollment requirement.

If You Withdraw (Top)

Students who withdraw during an academic term will receive a tuition refund based on the policy specified in the university catalog. The financial aid award will be adjusted based on the percentage of the semester up to the date of withdrawal. Funds from federal programs will be returned to the Department of Education.

See Return to Title IV funds policy.


HomeProspective StudentsReturning UndergradsGrad StudentsPart-Time Students
International Students
Tax InfoOther Administrative OfficesContact Aid Advisors Site Map