Site Home Prospective Students Returning Undergraduates Graduate Students Part-Time Students International Students
International Students Tax Information Other Administrative Offices Contact Aid Advisors Site Map

How to Apply

What Does it Cost?

Paying Your Bill





Work Opportunities

Concurrent Programs


Site Map

Questions and Answers | Graduate Students

What type of financial aid can a graduate student receive at Hopkins?
Many graduate students receive tuition support and monthly stipends directly from their academic department. Your department will determine the amount of that funding. Graduate students may also apply to the Office of Student Financial Services for federal loans from the Direct Student Loan and Perkins Loan Programs, and for Federal Work-Study. Supplemental loans are also available from private lenders.

When should I turn in my financial aid application?
You should complete your aid application at least 2 months before you need the funds.
You must submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA or renewal FAFSA), the Johns Hopkins Graduate Student Application for Financial Aid (, and a signed copy of your (and your spouse’s) most recent federal income tax return. Include all pages and W-2's. If you didn’t file a tax return in the preceding year you should complete the Non-Filing Statement on the Graduate Student Application for Financial Aid.

Have I missed the deadline?
There are no hard and fast deadlines, but you must allow a minimum of 2 months from the time you submit your aid application until your loan is disbursed to your account. In the meantime you are responsible to pay any tuition charges that are not covered by other sources yourself. If your charges have been paid, you can receive a refund when the loan is actually credited to your account.

How do I get money for living expenses?
If you need student loan funds for living expenses or to buy books, you should complete a financial aid application. The Office of Student Financial Services will determine your eligibility for federal loans. Allow 2 months for loans to be processed and credited to your account. The loan proceeds will first be applied to any tuition charges on your bill. If you have a credit balance remaining after tuition is covered, you can request a refund and use the money for your other expenses. Refunds can be requested from the Student Accounts Office on-line.

My department is supposed to cover my tuition. Why do I have a tuition charge on my bill?

Your department administrator is responsible for having the tuition credit applied to your student account. Check with that person to see why the credit has not yet been applied.

I am a Whiting School of Engineering student and am in the BS/MS program. When am I considered a graduate student and thus eligible for graduate tuition funding and health insurance subsidy?

Upon acceptance to the WSE BS/MS program, you are considered a graduate student if you have either completed your BS degree requirements or you have completed 8 semesters of full-time undergraduate study (whichever comes first).

What if I have more questions, who do I call?
For financial aid applications and loan eligibility contact:
Office of Student Financial Services
(410) 516-8028

For billing questions contact:
Student Accounts Office at (410) 516-8158

For tuition grant questions contact your academic department administrator.


HomeProspective StudentsReturning UndergradsGrad StudentsPart-Time Students
International Students
Tax InfoOther Administrative OfficesContact Aid Advisors Site Map